Photography Project: Birthday 365

August 31, 2018

I'm using my recent birthday to inaugurate a Project 365. In this age of Instagram, it's fairly essential that I develop a more consistent style to my photography. One of the ways I want to explore is to take more photos just for fun. I'm going to document this here rather than on my photography blog, because I want to keep that one in the general shape of a professional blog. This blog is for all my messy experimentation and trying.

So, here are the days of catching up for the last week:

(iPhone) August 23 Lancaster, CA: My birthday was spent at my friend Beth Davis' house. It was the day before her daughter's wedding, so I took a few quiet moments in the morning to sit in the cool morning air of the desert. While there, I experimented with some new film-like filters on my phone. This is her son's bike, just sitting in the front yard. It was a delightfully ordinary day.



(Canon 5DM4) August 24, Los Angeles, California. This was on the front lawn of the LA temple. I was not the photographer for the wedding, but did have all my gear with me. It was fun to snap a few shots here and there. We enlarged this one for the reception and Emily, the bride, really liked it. That was nice to hear. I do think this photo is my "style." It's natural, the focus is selective, and it's composed off center. Those are definitely things I tend to do.


(iPhone, Portrait Mode) August 26th 2018 I love walks in the desert at Sunset. This is me playing around with my phone, pushing Portrait Mode to create depth of field without a face in the photo. It fights me on the focus sometimes, but I love how this one turned out. 


(Canon 6D, 24-105mm) August 27, Ventura, CA. We went for a beach day and had a few hours of lovely sunshine, then a storm blew across the horizon, it clouded over and the temperature dropped 10 degrees. We ditched the beach and went for Tacos. It was a really lovely day.


(Canon EOS something--my film camera) 28 I'm counting this even though it was taken a couple of weeks ago. I was on a plane all day on this day. I got the scans back this week and I played around with them. It was fun to fiddle with film again.


(Canon 5dM4) August 29. I was taking photos for possible featuring in a hub I'm a member of, and came up with this one. I didn't get featured, but it was fun to capture and document Eric always being willing to clean up after I cook.


(iPhone) August 30. This was taken on a walk around the neighborhood. I looked up and was blown away by the clarity of the sky, the beauty of the green, and the harmony of the entire scene. I do love that this is my neighborhood. 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© My Creative Habit. Design by FCD.